Sunday, April 4, 2010

Romantic Period 1

A Thought Woke Me Early This Morning            1967

You're the air I breathe, the ground that
Bears me up, everything beautiful I see.
You're the song I hear, the food I eat,
Every thought that comes to me.

You're the fire that warms,
The cooling breeze,
The bed that holds me--
All of these.

You're the dream I dream,
The hope I keep
In those cherished moments
Before I sleep.


Sounds of Wisdom                      circa 1968

Listen to the sound of your star,
Breathing down from afar.
Climb up its beam;
Aspire to that dream
Of your quest.

Harken to the wisdom of your heart;
Believe it not only in part.
For he that so lives
And lovingly gives
Is most blest.


Game of Life                      circa 1969

Oh, Great Jacks Player for the World,
I saw Your great red ball through morning haze
Bounce from the horizon, and wondered
If this could be the game of life:
Are little lives cast down upon this plane
And later picked, 'neath orbits of Your sun,
By some mysterious rule of choice?


Time to Hope                       circa 1969

Autumn's red-orange dress has disappeared
   Around Time's season-circle.
Schizophrenic Winter--graybeard, cherub--
   Cries and laughs around us.
Foggy, melancholy days are come again
   And time for thinking hope thoughts.


Click!                             circa 1969

Since yesterday I have the yen,
When clicks my mind, to click my pen.
But, sad to say, it does not work
The other way--I cannot ken!

No comments:

Post a Comment